Friday, August 20, 2010

Happy Campers


Last weekend I went camping at Washington Lake in the Uinta Mountains, near the Trial Lake trailhead. My first real memory of camping was in North Canyon when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. I went with my Dad, Uncle Mike and my cousins Kevin & Tracy from California. I’ve been almost every summer since I can remember. The only time I didn’t enjoy going was during the too-cool-to-hang-out-with-my-family (13 to about 22 years old) phase.


Circa 198?-still-looks-awesome-when-you-tuck-your-shirt-into-your-ridiculous-hiked-up-sweatpants.

So much has changed since my family first started going to this particular lake. There is now a paved road to get there and quite a large campground where many of the sites now require reservations. It was saddening to see the amount of broken glass, soda cans, plastic bottles, fishing line, globs of power bait and socks galore (that one I can’t figure out) littering the lake shore. I kept thinking “stupid humans.” The constant drone of power generators from 7 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. was a little annoying. I admit I’ve been very grateful for the one my parents have with their modest trailer, but the day they hook up a satellite for t.v. while camping, I’m calling it quits.


The offspring love to go, but they have already grown accustomed to certain luxuries that come with being Grandma’s & Papa’s camping-mates. Riley caught her first of many fish this trip. It’s a rite of passage and Grandpa couldn’t have been more proud. I’m no longer a big fan of fishing, because I don’t eat them, but it was exciting to watch Riley fish from the canoe, pleading to catch “just one more” and not wanting to come in from the lake. She is my water-baby.



Tyler on the other hand, is the opposite. He’s more comfortable with his feet on the earth, rocks or in the mud. He was more interested in finding and collecting rocks, bugs, sticks, dogs, the camp host and other toddlers. I won’t be surprised if this kid becomes an Entomologist, Paleontologist, or Ironman.

Tyler charmed the camp host right out of his golf cart.

I was expecting a better show from the Perseid meteor shower. I stayed up until midnight, but didn’t see more than any other time in the mountains. However, the view of the Milky Way was incredible, the stars were majestic and the sky was completely filled with them. After proving that I have mastered the skill of roasting marshmallows to perfection, I’m content for another year.

Amélie would love this place.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun camping trip! I loved seeing the picture of you, Shane and Adam. Darn those stupid humans who take the beautiful outdoors for granted and treat it like a garbage can.
    Despite all that, I'm glad you had such a great time. Sure miss those mountains!
    I remember one time our dads and Travis went to the Uintas searching for something...I was seriously worried that they wouldn't come back, that some Indian spirit would get them. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you & the kids had a blast!!!
    I know exactly what u mean about the humans. I don't get it either. Coy & I go twice a year to a "desert clean up". Last Memorial Day was one & we filled up the bed of our truck with trash. Un-freaking-believable!!
    LOL, my husband believes in no TV,no radio (but I have to have a little music) no electronics period!!! Camping is peace & quite he tells us.
    The story about Riley & her "one more fish" Priceless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you and your brothers. Those are definitely some faces I remember. And, for the record, I think you look hot with your sweats pulled up under your armpits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey - I hope they let us in on their "lost gold" discovery some day.

    Natalie - You & Coy are good humans!

    Chelsey - Thanks, but really, don't you think "hot" is putting it mild?

    ReplyDelete