Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First of Many

Riley has been in Kindergarten a little over 2 months now. We had our first parent-teacher conference this week, got her 1st report card (that was weird), and our first major melt-down today.

We were running a little late this morning, so as we arrived to school, most of the kids were already inside. Riley got out of the car and headed towards the front steps when she turned and looked back at me. At first, I thought maybe she forgot her backpack or gloves, so I rolled down the window. She walked back to the car and said, “Mom, can I tell something?” Then her eyes welled up with tears. “I’m a little sad” as the tears were now streaming down her cheeks. By now I’m getting out of the car as fast as I can. I picked her up and we stood there crying together for a few minutes. We decided that she was still going to have a good day at school and I’d be back shortly to pick her up. As much as I wanted to take her back home and snuggle the rest of the day, I let my brave little girl walk back into school. I’m so thankful that she has a wonderful teacher that is kind, nurturing, and loves her too.
“Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”
—Elizabeth Stone

1 comment:

  1. Oh now I'm sad just picturing this. They are the sweetest things in the world and as mommas our hearts just break when they cry. Love ya Rasha thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete