Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dr. Evil

I'm only kidding, he's not evil at all. I met my Radiologist/Oncologist Monday. My radiation treatments will begin in about 2-3 weeks. I will have another PET scan next week to see if there are remaining cancerous cells. Following that test, I will have a planning session where the positioning of the radiation on my body is determined. Side effects from this treatment can be a sore throat & heartburn due to the location of the treatment. Long term side effects can be a secondary cancer. I will receive 20 treatments, Monday-Friday for 4 weeks. The actual procedure, or laser, will be a low dose of radiation for about 2 minutes each day.

After we finished the consultation, and my Radiologist was walking us out, he asked if I had any other questions. I'm not sure why I even thought of this, but I asked him if he were in my shoes, would he go through with this treatment? He laughed a little and replied, "I have been through it." He had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Despite all my anxiety & hesitation about this, I know I'll be in good hands.

Did I mention tomorrow is my last day of chemotherapy? I'm breaking out the last of my hoarded Reese's peanut butter eggs.

6 comments:

  1. That is comforting knowing your Dr. has been through what you are going through...

    Seriously let me know if you need help with your kids during radiation, I'm happy to take them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apparently know nothing about cancer and treatments--I have to say, the last few months have been very informative. It must be kind of comforting to know that your Dr. knows exactly what you are in for, and how everything will feel. Here's hoping you finish as strong as you've been through this whole thing. So glad you still have PB eggs. JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on the tail end of it all!! All of these treatments will soon be over..I'm so happy for you.
    That is quite a comfort knowing that your own Dr. has been through it. You are in good hands.
    I'll be thinking of you (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta girl Rash, I am so proud of you! You have done incredible during this entire thing. I could only hope should I ever have something like this happen to me that I am 1/2 as strong & determined like you :)So strong & so beautiful. Thoughts, hugs & lots of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, what Bridget said! Very strong & very beautiful..thru it all. U are one awesome woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Schweetie!!! I'm soooo proud of you! Love & tampons to you, my dear. I heart you. :)

    ReplyDelete