Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Luminous Beings - Part I


Luminous. Sounds better than radioactive. I had a PET (positron emission tomography) scan today, which shows exactly where the remaining cancerous cells are located. This information will be used by my Radiologist to map where the radiation is needed. The PET scan itself is, for the most part, painless. Preparation begins 24 hours prior to the scan. Following lunch, I was forbidden to eat carbs, sugars, and caffeine, only proteins. I had to avoid exercise & strenuous activity as well...ok, if I must. After a protein breakfast, it was nothing but water.



My appointment was at 11:30 am. Upon my arrival, I was presented with a tasty beverage consisting of Crystal Light Lemonade & iodine, the oral contrast. Just delightful, much like the glucose drink when testing for gestational diabetes. Chug it as best you can, leaving 1/3 of it for later.

Afterwards, I had to sit in a small room in a comfortable recliner. The experience is very new-age-ish: dim lighting, warm air, relaxing music (I highly recommend taking your own), a small water feature, and my personal favorite, lavender. A Q-tip is dipped in essential oil of lavender & placed beside you. It's amazing the calming effect something so simple can have. Then a radioactive solution was injected in my vein. I had to wait about an hour for my body to absorb the solution. The cancerous cells of a tumor will appear on the scan bright or luminous.




Minutes before the scan, I had to finish the remaining glucose drink. While the scan took place, I had to lay (or is it lie, I never remember) still for 30 minutes. During the scan you can listen to a cd of your choice, no iPods allowed. It was easy to fall asleep during this time, as the scanner makes a soft whirling noise. That was it. I am literally radioactive for the rest of the day and will be emitting radioactivity. I was advised to stay about 6 feet away from people. Next time, (I'll be doing this again in 3 months) I'm going to take a tour at Hill Airforce Base or walk around Dugway, just for fun.

Tomorrow I meet with my Oncologist for the scan results and possibly say goodbye to Han.


1 comment:

  1. Emitting radioactivity...dang!
    Hahaha, I like your idea of walking around HAFB or Dugway.
    Hope to hear the results soon. Hans needs a decent farewell and a BIG ThAnKs!

    ReplyDelete