Friday, January 20, 2012

Out With The Old

Week four into the new year.  How are your resolutions?  As for me, I don’t make them.  I’m a highly unmotivated person, not very goal-oriented, and I’d probably forget what it was I resolved to do within the first week.

If I were to claim any sort of resolution, it is to make a better effort to get rid of stuff I don’t need.  Really, must I keep all the spare buttons that came with each shirt I bought over the last decade or the lip gloss container that has long since been depleted but, by the love of gravity, that last little bit will make its way onto the applicator for one last shining moment on my colorless lips?  My Achilles heel is throwing out clothes.  Recently, I found in my closet a pair of Gap overalls I’ve had since high school!  I haven’t worn them for years, except maybe once while I was pregnant & working in the yard (I had a Buddha-belly that I didn’t want to get dirty). In all the times I’ve moved, I was astonished to think I had packed these atrocities of good fashion sense & took them with me.  What have I been thinking for the past seventeen years (yes, do the math now because it was socially acceptable for young adult women to wear overalls then), that someday they might look amazing again and I’ll be fortunate enough to have kept mine?

I found that I’m not the only one guilty of hoarding outdated/outworn clothing.  My cousin shared with the blogging world that she has held on to a pair of beloved boots for years upon years.  Sorry Kellie, but I have you beat on this one.  Along with the drapery of denim, I also have Teva’s that are about fifteen years old too.  However, I still wear these during the summer and I know full well that I should’ve parted with these long ago, yet I can’t bring myself to do it.  Why is it so difficult to let go of something, thread bare or otherwise, which we just don’t need? So as you sit there, reading this in your perfectly functional Esprit sweatshirt, take comfort in knowing that I’m off to find my Girbaud jeans.  I know I still have them somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Are you claiming my shoes to be outdated? 15 years wow you win!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not outdated at all. They still look great and even better with Jelly Belly's in them. I love that you still have them & that I'm not the only one who doesn't replace their entire wardrobe every year.

    ReplyDelete