Thursday, February 18, 2010

Round 2 - success in progress


My 2nd dose of Chemotherapy. Meds du jour were Bleomycin and Vincristine. Both interfere with cell division, thus causing it's death. That's right Marla, get used to it.







Both come with their own stunning possible side effects, numbness/tingling/burning in the hands & feet, constipation, loss of appetite, sores in mouth, fever, chills, nausea, and my personal favorite, hair loss. None of which have been experienced...yet. Although, my taste buds seemed to have abandoned me and makes eating extremely boring.



Most likely I'll run a low-grade fever tonight from the Bleo. Yeah that's right, we can talk like we're good friends with this stuff. We're going to be, by the time this is over.

Good News for the day: Treatment is obviously working. My pulse has come down to 92 (previously 132 on a bad day) and I can breathe a hell of a lot easier. Trachea, feel free to regain your space. Blood counts show some numbers are 1/2 of what they were last week, but those are the effects of the treatment, it's progress, and they'll be monitored.

**Before I forget, should the Vincristine accidentally leak out from my vein, it may damage tissue and cause scarring. Don't try to be a hero and wipe it up, I'll just call my nurse.










Han getting his bath.

8 comments:

  1. Ah - Vincristine!! I remember it well. My daughter was given that both times she went through chemo. Nasty stuff - but good stuff. It does it's job really really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the good news for the day. and it is so great to hear that Marla is getting beat down!!
    You and Han are doing great with all this...hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachelle, I'm glad to hear that the drugs are working like they should! You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers...keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your strength is inspirational, your humor irrisistable. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of COURSE it's workin'!!! You a bad-motha that's kickin' some ARSE!!! Thnkin' of you constantly my bad-motha friend. Love your hair, by the way.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you Racha and you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reaching the end of the tunnel with a 3 year old who has gone through much of the same treatments...So, there are side effects. It's why your blessed with a beautiful countenance....did I just type that? Ugh, I'm such a, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rasha, u are awesome!! Stay strong.

    Sadly, with age, it will be normal to have some of those "side affects" :) (as I'm learning).

    ReplyDelete