Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ahoy Mateys


Because mutiny on the bounty's what we're all about.
(That one's for you Jules)

Sorry for not updating this for about a week now. It’s completely related to how I feel – which is great. I’ve been staying busy while I can. I’m at the ½ way mark. Six weeks of chemotherapy down, six more to go.

Last Thursdays treatment I was surrounded by pirates. The chemo itself is a little bit like a crew of pirates. Each week they board this ship and pillage & plunder the snot out of marla. To which I’m just fine with.
My nurse rocked these shoes.
*
*
The official cancerlebrity photographer.
*
*
*
Lunch this weekend with childhood friends.

Everyday I get asked “how do you feel?” followed by the astonished look from someone when I explain that I feel just fine. My luck lines are paying off. Everyday I’m grateful that my diagnosis was not terminal and had so much optimism with it. So if you happen to be one of the 1.4 million people diagnosed with cancer, here’s what keeps me going:

1. Surround yourself with family & friends. Be around, about, & in love.
2. Stay busy. I can’t sit around and feel sorry for myself all day, there’s no reason to. I still have plenty of “this really sucks” moments (like finding a long blonde hair on a jacket or inside my helmet), then I resort back to #1 and move on.
3. Become ecstatic that morning you wake up and cancer is NOT the first thing you think of. You temporarily forget you have it until later that day, or the alopecia looking back in the mirror reminds you.

4 comments:

  1. It's just awesome that you're doing AND feeling so great!! I was so happy to be able to see you and spend time with you.
    Marla is walking the plank and just about ready to jump ship...good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good to see you! You look amazing! It was surprising to hear how good you feel, but I love that you are doing so well and seeing how happy you are! You're amazing Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the good news coming. I'm loving the pirate theme--I'm hoping for eye patches, and hooks somewhere in your next pictures. :) And I'm so sad to miss the old WB reunion. How fun to get everyone together. You'll have to catch me up on all the news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your attitude!! It's so great to hear how positive you are!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete